This new HAT from adds our celebrated Ultimate GPS on it, so you can add precision time and location to your Raspberry Pi Model A+, B+, or Pi 2. Does not work with the Pi 3 at this time.
Here’s the low-down on the GPS module:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 66 channels
- Only 20mA current draw
- Built in Real Time Clock (RTC) – slot in a CR1220 backup battery for 7-years or more of timekeeping even if the Raspberry Pi is off!
- PPS output on fix, by default connected to pin #4
- Internal patch antenna which works quite well when used outdoors + u.FL connector for external active antenna for when used indoors or in locations
without a clear sky view
- Fix status LED blinks to let you know when the GPS has determined the current coordinates
A HAT based on our Ultimate GPS, added a coin-cell holder for RTC usage, break-outs for all the Raspberry Pi’s extra pins, and plenty of prototyping area for adding LEDs, sensors, and more.
Please note, this HAT takes over the Raspberry Pi’s hardware UART to send/receive data to and from the GPS module. So, if you need to use the RX/TX pins with a console cable, you cannot also use this HAT. Instead, you’ll have to use a composite or HDMI monitor and keyboard to log in, or use ssh to connect over the network to your Pi.
Comes as a fully assembled GPS + PCB and an additional 2×20 GPIO header. Some light soldering is required to attach the 2×20 GPIO header to the HAT but it’s fast and easy for anyone with a soldering iron and solder.