PayFast is a payments processing service for South Africans and South African websites. We enable easy, secure and instant transfer of money between online buyers and sellers.
We allow sellers to accept payments from buyers in a variety of ways. We process credit cards (Visa and MasterCard), Instant EFT (bank transfers to any of SA’s four biggest banks that get instantly verified) and Ukash.
How does it work ?
With PayFast, buyers can make secure and instant online payments to sellers for goods and services. Buyers don’t pay anything to use PayFast and sellers are charged a small percentage of each successful transaction. The payments are kept in the seller’s PayFast account. When the seller requests a Payout, the money is transferred to their bank account. You can accept payments through PayFast if you’re an individual, a registered business or a charity. Register today.
We offer a variety of payment methods through the familiar and trusted PayFast interface. We process MasterCard and Visa credit cards, Instant EFT (with SA’s four biggest banks), Ukash, credit facility mobicred and digital payment method Bitcoin.
To find out more about these payments, please click the options below.
mobicred is an online account that gives buyers access to credit, which they can use on PayFast. The facility works in a similar fashion to retail store credit: only online. Sellers can choose to enable/disable mobicred on their PayFast accounts and there is no risk of default or repudiation to them. Learn more.
PayD allows you to accept payment from debit card holders. Buyers enter their debit card and mobile phone number and then authenticate the transaction on their phone. The system works with devices on the Vodacom or MTN network and with debit cards issued by Absa, Nedbank and Standard Bank. Learn more.
PayFast is committed to keeping you and your information secure. We have a multitude of checks in place to protect both buyers and sellers from fraudulent transactions.
- We use Extended Validation SSL with 256-bit encryption. Only two of the four major South African banks use this, the highest, level of encryption currently available.
- 3D Secure is in place for all credit card transactions.
- All sensitive info is encrypted within our own database.
- We run penetration testing on our system on a weekly basis to look for vulnerabilities. We are only required to do it once every three months, but we run it every week.
- Our entire site, blog and help site are served off secure servers, making it harder to perpetrate phishing attacks.
- We also have an excellent monitoring system that does, among other things: GEO IP tracking, velocity testing, BIN/IIN validation and checks against online databases.
3D Secure is an extra layer of security in using your credit card for online transactions. For online transactions over R1000 you’ll be asked to enter your 3D Secure password (different from the PIN), which is called Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode by the respective credit card companies.
You have to register for 3D Secure with your card issuing bank, and can be set up either as a password of your choice or a one-time-password that will be sent to you by email/SMS. Please click on your bank logo for information on how to set up 3D Secure with your bank, if you haven’t already done so.